Spišské Vlachy    Google Map

    The town of Spišské Vlachy has been founded on an old trade route which was crossing the Gemer region and connected the region of Spiš and Gemer with the Balkans. The first written reference of the town is from the year 1243. The settlers coming most probably from the region of Wallony settled in this area shortly after the invasion of the Tatars. In the 14-th century Spišské Vlachy belonged to the Community of Spiš Sas nation. Similarly as several other towns in the Spiš region, also Spišské Vlachy were between 1412 and 1772 given as a deposit to the king of Poland. The greatest expansion of Spišské Vlachy was noticed between the 16-th and 18-th century when copper ore was mined and processed in the local copper works.
    Between the 16-th and 18-th century the town had the right to organize four annual fairs and weekly open markets on basis of several royal privileges.
    In the period between 1778-1876 the town belonged to the Province of XVI. Spiš towns. Later it became a town with a municipal government. After the Spiš-Bohumín railway was built, a significant part of local population was employed there. A sawmill as well as a brickfield were built here, too.
    In 1992 Spišské Vlachy was proclaimed an area of historical interest. A town-hall situated in the central square is considered the most dominant and the most beautiful building in the center. It was founded in the 15-th century. A part of the building is nowadays used as a Roman-Catholic church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
    Close to the town-hall you can find a Marian baroque pillar which comes from the year 1728 and a Roman-Catholic church of John the Baptist, which was founded in the middle of the 13-th century. In 1434, a damaged part of the church building was pulled down and rebuilt in a late-Baroque style. A crucifix from the year 1520 (which was created in the workroom of Master Pavol from Levoča) and a 2-pieces bronze gothic baptistery from the year 1497 both belong to the most precious objects in the church.
    In the central square there is also an Evangelic church from the year 1787, to which later a tower was added. By this addition the building became a church.
    Close to the town you can find a tourist center Za Horou (Zahura) with private cottages and fishponds.



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy