The village is situated in the western part of the Hornádska Basin, at the creek Vydrčianka. Originally there was a settlement from the times of the Great Moravian empire (9-th century). The first written reference about the village is from the year 1294. The local population consisted mostly of farmers.
The village is a suitable starting point for hikes to the northern part of the National Park Slovenský Raj (Slovak Paradise).